Borrowing accessioned records

The forms and guidance provided below are for government departments that want to borrow accessioned records from The National Archives.

For further information on borrowing or returning accessioned records, please contact

How to borrow accessioned records

Government departments can recall their own records once accessioned by The National Archives. This is known as a government requisition. Borrowing records may be necessary for use in court cases or inquiries, for example.

Those members of staff authorised to make the requests should fill out the appropriate form found below and email this to:

Records should be returned to The National Archives within six weeks of ordering.

Guidance and advice

Guidance on ordering and returning documents (PDF, 0.10 MB)

Process for sending previously retained pieces or extracts to The National Archives (PDF, 0.26 MB)


Authorised requestor form (DOC, 0.05 MB)

Document returns (DOC, 0.05 MB)

Document requests (DOCX, 0.05 MB)

Access Updates Form (DOC, 0.05 MB)