We offer two services relating to British citizenship. Submit a request form below depending on if you want:
1. Evidence that someone obtained or renounced British nationality
- We will carry out a search of our records of British nationality from January 1949 to October 1986 (or to December 1982 for a renunciation).
- If we find a certificate, we will provide the certificate number and explain how to order a copy.
- The initial search is free of charge.
Many certificates, including those issued before January 1949, can be located by a simple name search in our catalogue. Try a search there yourself first, as you may not need to use this service.
2. A letter confirming that someone did not obtain British nationality
- We will carry out a search of our records of British nationality from November 1844 to October 1986.
- If we do not find evidence of British nationality, we will send you a letter signed in wet ink confirming this.
- There is a non-refundable charge of £27.15 for this service, covering the search and the letter.