Ensuring access to our collections through preservation and display, innovative sector-leading treatment and research, documentation and environmental management.
Read more about initiatives underway to help us deliver effective stewardship of The National Archives’ collections.
Discover how our collaborative conservation research programme helps to manage material change to archival collections.
- ArcHives: ‘omics in the archive
- Photography and textiles
- ‘EnSight’: Knowledge Transfer Partnership
- Computer vision: AI for analysis and searching across watermarks and merchant marks
- Conservation of Samuel Holland’s 1765 map of Prince Edward Island
- The impact of dust on our collections
- Conserving transparent papers
- Collaborative working practices: Mind the Gap
Learn how we advise other archives, government departments and places of deposit how best to handle documents and mitigate any risks to records collections.
See a list of staff publications relating to our work.
As a centre of excellence and leader in archive conservation, the Collection Care department has redefined the role and competencies of today’s practicing conservator.