1. What can you find out about Alexander Munroe from this document?
2. What has happened to Alexander Munroe?
3. What does Thomas M’Carthy’s arrest tell you about Whitechapel at the time?
4. How long had Alexander lived at the boarding house? What does this tell you about his life?
Source three (a) and three (b):
5. What can you learn about the relationship between Munroe and Hewington from these documents?
6. How did the landlord react to the event? What does this tell you about Whitechapel at the time?
7. What does the nurse say about Alexander’s reaction?
8. What occupation does the illustrated Police News give for Alexander? Does this match the other documents?
9. Why does an ‘illustrated police news’ exist? What does it tell you about life at the time?
10. Does the portrayal match the other reports?
Sources five (a) and five (b):
11. What does the document reveal about the relationship between Alexander Munroe and Ching Hook?
12. What was the Professional Boxing Association opinion of Alexander?
13. How would you describe Alexander’s funeral from the document?
14. What does this reveal about his life in Whitechapel?
Add these details to your timeline