Accredited archive services are required to demonstrate that they continue to meet the standard to retain accredited status. Archive services should notify their home nation assessor body promptly about any significant changes to core elements, for example changes around staffing, premises or opening hours.
Review stage (three years post-award)
Accredited archive services are required to complete the review stage for Archive Service Accreditation three years after the initial award. This is an opportunity for the archive service to inform their home nation assessor body about:
- progress against required actions or improvement actions outlined in the feedback to their initial application
- any other developments in their archive service since the award of Archive Service Accreditation
The home nation assessor body will contact the archive service with details of how to complete their review stage application at least six months prior to the required date of submission for renewal. The application process is made via the online application system.
A copy of the three year check-in form is available here:
Re-application for Archive Service Accreditation (six years post award)
Accredited archive services are required to make a new full application for Archive Service Accreditation six years after the initial award to retain accredited status. The assessor body will contact the archive service in advance of their re-application to agree the timescale for this.
Removal of Archive Service Accreditation
The Archive Service Accreditation Committee can remove the award of accredited status from an archive service under a number of circumstances, such as if:
- an archive service fails to complete the interim review stage of Archive Service Accreditation
- an archive service fails to complete the re-application process for Archive Service Accreditation
- changes within the archive service means that the archive service no longer meets the eligibility criteria
The Archive Service Accreditation Committee will also consider any extraordinary circumstances that may result in the removal of accredited status. Examples include actions identified by or referred to the Committee that contravene the Archives and Records Association (UK and Ireland) Code of Conduct; or institutional failure to maintain the archive service’s responsibility concerning the condition of its archive collections and declared collecting interest.
The full statement on the removal of accredited status can be found here.