We believe that offering work experience placements to young people is a great way to gain an insight into the important and interesting work that The National Archives does.
Work experience in Document Services
The Document Services department offers a placement scheme to young people aged 14 to 18.
A structured work placement is a chance to learn more about what it is like to work in an archive, and to get some practical, hands-on experience of working as part of a team. The work will include:
- producing and returning original documents accurately from the repository floor to the reading rooms
- using computer systems to log and track document movements accurately
- working in a customer service environment within the reading rooms
- learning how we preserve and care for documents
- working as an effective member of a team
We are currently offering 5-day placements (Monday to Friday) within the Document Services department.
How to apply
If you are a student in the boroughs of Richmond upon Thames and Kingston upon Thames or Hounslow, please check with your work experience co-ordinator as some schools may have arrangements in place for contacting us.
We actively welcome applications from students with autism.
Update (September 2023)
We are now taking bookings for 2024. For enquiries or to apply for a place, please email a copy of your CV and a cover letter explaining your interest in a placement to: DSDTraining@nationalarchives.gov.uk
Please note that we receive a large number of requests for work experience, and we are unable to offer everyone a place.