How to look for records of... Nonconformist and non-parish births, marriages and deaths 1567-1969
How can I view the records covered in this guide?
How many are online?
More about these records
You can search and download birth, marriage and death records from nonconformist, non-parish and overseas sources 1567-1969.
These are selected digitised records from a variety of record collections held at The National Archives:
- registers of births, baptisms, deaths, burials and marriages in RG 4
- birth certificates from the Presbyterian, Independent and Baptist Registry and from the Wesleyan Methodist Metropolitan registry from 1742-1840 in RG 5
- Society of Friends’ (Quakers) registers, notes and certificates of births, marriages and burials from 1578-1841 in RG 6
- registers and notebooks of clandestine marriages and baptisms in the Fleet Prison, King’s Bench Prison, the Mint and the May Fair Chapel from 1667-c1777 in RG 7
- registers of births, marriages and deaths surrendered to the Non Parochial Registers Commission of 1857 in RG 8
- overseas births, baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials abroad and on British & foreign ships, of British subjects, nationals of the colonies, the commonwealth and countries under British jurisdiction in RG 32
- overseas birth, marriage, death and burial of British subjects including those on board ships in RG 33
- overseas Foreign Marriage Returns from 1861-1921 in RG 34
- miscellaneous Foreign Death Returns from 1791-1921 in RG 35
- registers in the protectorates etc of Africa and Asia from 1895-1965 in RG 36
- registers of births, deaths and marriages of passengers at sea from the Registry of Shipping and Seamen from 1854-1908 in BT158
- registers of deaths at sea of British nationals from the Registry of Shipping and Seamen from 1875-1888 in BT159
- registers of births at sea of British nationals from the Registry of Shipping and Seamen from 1875-1891 in BT160
For more information on what these records contain see thegenealogist.co.uk/non-conformist-records/