As well as the records listed here, we hold a set of published Indian Army Lists 1903–1939 (more details below), though these records are not exclusive to The National Archives.
First World War Indian Army unit war diaries from Egypt, Palestine and East Africa
Search by unit name and number for document references to unit war diaries, in series WO 95, of Indian Army units which served in Egypt, Palestine and East Africa during the First World War.
Second World War unit war diaries
Indian Army units served in a variety of theatres of war during the Second World War and many of these may be found in our collection. The series you might find the unit war diary in will depend on where it served. Using the advanced search, search by name and number of the unit. A full list of the series in which to find unit war diaries can be found in the relevant section of the British Army operations during the Second World War research guide.
Medal, honours, decorations, and casualty cards relating to the Second World War
These records include entry cards for individuals who served in the Indian Army during the Second World War and received medals, honours, or decorations, or became casualties. Depending on the card, they contain basic information including name, rank, regiment, regimental number, medals issued, and type of injury.
They are arranged in boxes by surname range. Browse the following series to find appropriate ranges of surnames.
- Casualties suffered by officers of the Indian Army, 1939-1945, in series WO 429
- Records of medals awarded to officers of the Indian Army, 1939-1945, in series WO 430
- Records relating to campaign medals issued to other ranks of the Indian Army, 1939-1945, in series WO 431
- Records of honours and decorations awarded to British officers of the Indian Army, 1939-1947, in WO 432
- Records of honours and decorations awarded to Indian nationals of the Indian Army, 1939-1945, in WO 433