Study this source carefully and see what it tells you about how British people remembered the war in the years 1919-30. As you study the source, ask yourself:
- Which of these sources would you say were religious, revengeful, bitter, sad, proud? (See if you can think of any other descriptions).
- In your opinion, what are the strengths and weaknesses of each possible inscription?
- Would any of these inscriptions have been acceptable in 1919, but not acceptable 50 years later?
- Study the opinion of Sir Edward Lutyens in source 1. Do you agree with his view on the inscription?
- Will you choose this as your memorial to evaluate?