DROID is a software tool developed by The National Archives to perform automated batch identification of file formats. Developed by our Digital Preservation department as part of its broader digital preservation activities, DROID is designed to meet the fundamental requirement of any digital repository to be able to identify the precise format of all stored digital objects, and to link that identification to a central registry of technical information about that format and its dependencies.
DROID uses internal signatures to identify and report the specific file format and version of digital files. These signatures are stored in an XML signature file, generated from information recorded in the PRONOM technical registry. New and updated signatures are regularly added to PRONOM, and DROID can be configured to automatically download updated signature files.
Find out more about how to use DROID for information management activities.
Download the current version of DROID (v6.2.1) (ZIP, 30 MB)
- Now includes functionality to process the contents of ARC and WARC (web archive) files
- Added SHA1 to the hash algorithms available when profiling
- Filtering is now case-insensitive on file name, extension and format name
- Fix for intermittent skipping of OLE2 containers due to memory pressure (github issue #67) (such cases now logged)
- Minor updates to help pages
If you experience any difficulties using DROID, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DROID requires Java 1.7 or 1.8 Standard Edition (SE) and should work on any platform which supports either of these.
DROID is built and tested on:
- Ubuntu Server 32 bit/OpenJDK Java
- Ubuntu Desktop 64 bit/Oracle Java
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 64 bit/OpenJDK
- Linux Mint/Centos
- CentOS 64 bit/Oracle Java
- Microsoft Windows XP (64 bit)/Oracle Java
- Microsoft Windows 7 (64 bit)/Oracle Java
- Microsoft Windows 10 (64 bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64 bit)/Oracle Java
- Mac OS Mountain Lion/ Java/Mac OSX (El Capitan)
If you are experiencing issues using DROID try these:
- Check which version (by typing java –version in CMD) of JAVA is installed and install version 1.7 or 1.8 if required
- Check DROID is running from a location on the local machine and not on a shared network/drive
- Close down DROID and delete .droid6 folder (within Windows 7, usually found here: C:Users’username’.droid6) then restart DROID which will re-create the .droid6 folder
If any of these do not work, please contact us at PRONOM@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk.
User support is available from our Google Groups discussion page. Bug-fixes, feature requests, and code support should be raised through our GitHub issues page. We welcome contributions of new formats and format signatures to the PRONOM registry. If you wish to contribute, please use our online form. Signature Files and their release notes can be found below:
Versions of DROID prior to 6.1 are available from our Sourceforge site.
Download the previous version of DROID (v6.1.5) (ZIP, 34.6 MB)