Survey of an Emigrant Ship: Certificate of Clearance (MT 9/920f)
This is a very simplified transcript of the document MT 9/960f.
“Cabin passengers” were First or Second Class passengers. “Steerage” passengers were in Third Class berths or slept in open rooms.
[table id=37 /]« Return to Life aboard the Titanic
4. Look at Source 4. This is a page from a document headed ‘Survey of an Emigrant Ship: Certificate of Clearance’. Use the simplified transcript to answer the questions below.
- Where did most people embark?
- Which class of passenger made up the majority of those embarking at Cherbourg?
- Which class of passenger made up the majority of those embarking at Queenstown?
- Which class of passenger were in a majority of all those on board when the Titanic set off for New York?
- Look at the title of the document on which the table is based. What does this tell you about who all these steerage passengers were?