Study this source carefully. It contains information that could be helpful in deciding why it was so hard to make peace. As you study the source, ask yourself:
- In extract 3a, what is the German view of Germany's position in May 1919?
- Do the Germans appear to accept that they were to blame for the war?
- In extract 3b, what is the German attitude towards the war crimes that Germany is accused of?
- What is the German attitude towards Belgium?
- Does extract 3b suggest Germany is bitter about the Allied blockade?
- How would you describe the tone of extract 3c?
- Does this source seem to agree more closely with French views (source 1 in this case study) or British views (source 2)?