The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Hemel Hempstead General Hospital (St Pauls Wing), Hemel Hempstead

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Hemel Hempstead General Hospital (St Pauls Wing) 

Previous name(s)

Hemel Hempstead Workhouse (c.1869 - c.1920)
Hemel Hempstead Infirmary (c.1920 - 1930)
Hemel Hempstead Institution (c.1930 - 1948)
St Paul's Hospital (1948 - c.1970)  

Address

Allendale Hemel Hempstead HP2 5HT 

Previous location

Allendale formerly known as Redbourn Road

Foundation Year

1869 

Closed

No 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

North West Metropolitan 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

West Hertfordshire 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

North West Thames 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

North West Thames 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

North West 

District Health Authority (1982- )

North West Hertfordshire 

County (before 1974)

Hertfordshire 

County (1974-1996)

Hertfordshire 

County (after 1996)

Not applicable 

Status

Pre 1948

Poor Law, Local Authority

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

General

Post 1948

Acute

Other information

St Paul's Hospital originally opened in 1836 as the workhouse for the Hemel Hempstead Union, which consisted of the parishes of Bovingdon, Flaunden, Great Gaddesden, Hemel Hempstead and Kings Langley (the parish of Markyate was created in 1897). The workhouse had an infirmary with 224 beds to house patients who were aged, infirm or chronically ill. The workhouse and infirmary were situated in Allendale Road in Hemel Hempstead. From April 1930 under the Local Government Act 1929, responsibility for the workhouses, including workhouse infirmaries, passed from the Boards of Guardians to the County Council's Dacorum Guardians Committee, which was responsible for the area of the former Hemel Hempstead Union plus part of the former Berkhamsted Union. The workhouse became known as Hempstead House. In May 1936 the Berkhamsted workhouse closed and Hempstead House became responsible for the poor, including the sick poor, of the entire Dacorum Guardians Committee area.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1935 - 1974

   General

1964 - 1974

   Admission & Discharge

1935 - 1948

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

At Repository: CAT: HW1

Catalogues in A2A

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=046-h&cid=0External website - link opens in a new window

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.