The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window

Details: Bishops Stortford and District Hospital, Bishops Stortford

search again
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records



Present name

Bishops Stortford and District Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Bishops Stortford Cottage Hospital (1895 - 1901)
Bishops Stortford Hospital (by 1914 - c.1948)  


Rye Street Bishops Stortford CM23 2NB 

Foundation Year




Closure year


Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

North East Metropolitan 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Hertford No. 1 Group 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

North East Thames 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

North East Thames 

District Health Authority (1974-82)


District Health Authority (1982- )

West Essex () Essex and Herts () 

County (before 1974)


County (1974-1996)


County (after 1996)

Not applicable 


Pre 1948


Post 1948



Pre 1948


Post 1948


Other information

In August 1892 a man suffered a serious accident in Bishops Stortford, and because there were no hospital facilities in Bishops Storford, he had to be taken to Cambridge, a distance of some twenty-six miles. The jouney proved to be too long and he died on the way. Mr Bartle Frere, one of the local landowners, was so appalled by this that he decided to establish a hospital in Bishops Stortford itself. He died in 1893, before he had time to put his plan into action, but his son and daughter carried on with the project. Bishops Stortford Cottage Hospital was opened on 26 January 1895 by the Bishop of St Albans and the first patient was admitted on 4 February. The hospital consisted of a two storey building, with a ward of four beds on each floor, an isolation ward with one bed, a small operating room, and living quarters for the matron and nurses. On 27 November 1897, a meeting was held which decided to change the name of the hospital from ?Bishops Stortford Cottage Hospital to Bishops Stortford Hospital, as it was felt that the latter would be more prestigious. In 1898 a new general ward was added to the ground floor and some more rooms on the first. In 1902 the staff increased from one matron and a probationer to a matron, a staff nurse, a nurse and one probationer. In 1912 a new wing was built bringing the total accommodation up to twelve beds and one cot. In 1920 the hospital was given X-ray equipment. The children's ward was built in 1925 and in 1927 the grounds were extended and the men's ward enlarged. A contributory scheme, by patients to the hospital, was established in 1927. On 15 May 1929, the new nurses home opened and in 1936 the hospital became an official school of nursing. On 5 July 1948 control of the hospital passed to the Minister of Health and the hospital became a part of the Hertfordshire and Essex General Hospital.

Records can be found at:


  Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Record type

Date range


1893 - 1970


1893 - 1970


1932 - 1941

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG), Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)


At Repository:CAT: HV1

Catalogues in A2A website - link opens in a new window

search again
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.