The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Royal Mental Hospital, by Dundee

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Royal Mental Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Dundee Lunatic Asylum (1820-1875); Dundee Royal Lunatic Asylum (1875-1948); Royal Dundee Liff Hospital (1948-1959)  

Address

Gowrie House Liff by Dundee DD2 5NF (Since 1896) 

Previous location

Albert Street, Dundee 1820-1883; Westergreens 1883-1903


Foundation Year

1805 

Closed

No 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

Eastern 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Dundee Mental 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Tayside 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Tayside 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Dundee 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Dundee 

Current Trust

Tayside Primary Care NHS Trust 

Previous Trust

Dundee Healthcare NHS Trust 

County (before 1974)

Forfarshire/Angus 

County (1974-1996)

Tayside 

County (after 1996)

Tayside 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary, Local Authority

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

Mental

Post 1948

Mental

Other information

Established as part of the Dundee Infirmary and supported by voluntary contributions from c. 1810, in 1819 became a Body Corporate and Politic as part of Dundee Royal Infirmary and Asylum, and in 1820 formally established as a separate entity. In 1875 received a Royal Charter. In 18823 moved to Westergreens on the outskirts of the city, and in 1896 Gowrie House was established as a separate building for private patients. In 1903 Westergreens Asylum was sold to Dundee District Lunacy Board, but Gowrie House continued as the Royal Lunatic Asylum. Transferred to NHS in 1948, in 1959 rejoined with Westergreens and Maryfield Hospital psychiatric wards to form 'Royal Mental Hospital'

Records can be found at:

Dundee University Archive, Records Management and Museum Services

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1805 - 1991

   General

1820 - 1948

   Finance

1805 - 1961

   Estates

1811 - 1937

   Admission & Discharge

1995 - 1998

   Staff

1894 - 1950

   Other

1883 - 1991

Clinical & Patients

1824 - 1959

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

Notes

Ref THB 7; see also THB 11 Maternity Ward admission registers AccM/417, AccM/432

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.