Engraving that shows a scene from the Smallpox and Inoculation Hospital at St. Pancras by cartoon satirist, James Gillray, 12 June, 1802. [Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons]
- What two things do you notice about the people who have been vaccinated?
- Why are they portrayed in this way?
- How is the doctor, often assumed to be Edward Jenner, shown in the cartoon?
- What is the significance of the oil painting shown on the wall?
- What does the caption of the cartoon suggest about vaccination?
- What does the scene infer about attitudes towards vaccination?