Photograph from 1944 called: ‘Effects of V2 (Ringwood Way, Southgate, London) Catalogue ref: HO 338/27
Try and read the caption. Use a map of London to find the location of the photograph if possible.
The ‘V2’ was a rocket, a long-distance weapon that could travel at the speed of sound. They were used by Germany against British towns and cities from 1943 during the Second World War.
Discuss the following questions:
- What can you see in this photograph?
- Can you think of 5 words to describe it?
- Why do you think this photograph was taken?
- Why is this a black and white photograph?
- Can you make a list of different workers who would be needed to help the place in the photograph recover?
- How does this photograph explain why people travelled on the Windrush after the Second World War?