Court records from Dominica, a British colony in the Leeward Islands, January 1814 (CO 71/51)
|John Pierre||Mr Grano||1814 |
Jan[uar]y 15 John Pierre Mr Grano Co[ur]t Martial
|Attempting to return to the Runaways with Provisions & having been runaway 2 Months||To be hanged||Hanged : Head cut off & put on a Pole. Body hanged on a Gibbet, 16 Jan[uar]y 1814
|15 & 16||Peter||Hillsbro' Estate||ditto||Exiting a Mutiny among 20 Negroes of the Estate & harvesting them with provisions & while runaway||To be hanged||Hanged. Head cut off & put on a pole. Body hanged on a Gibbet 18 Jan[uar]y 1814|
|16||Hector||Mr Lionne||ditto||Runaway||To receive 100 lashes & to be worked in chains 6 months||Received 100 lashes 16 Jan 1814 & sold 21st April|
|Rachel||Mr Grano||ditto||ditto||To receive 30 lashes & to be worked in chains 3 months||Received 30 lashes & delivered to owner 16th April 1814|
|22||Dick & Daniel||Hillsbro' Estate ||ditto||ditto||To receive 100 lashes||Rec[eived] 100 lashes each, & released to owners att[ention] 22nd Jan 1814|
|Sarah||ditto||ditto||ditto||To receive 50 lashes||Pardoned & released 30th Jan[uar]y|
|Hetty, Penny & Placide ||ditto||ditto||ditto||To receive 40 lashes each||Received 40 lashes each & returned to owner's att[ention] 22nd Jan[uar]y|
|28||Joseph||Mr Dubocq||ditto||supplying Runaways with salt & with provisions||Not guilty||Discharged|
|Pierre||Mr Polus Estate||ditto||Encouraging the Neg[roe]s upon that estates who had absconded to stay away||To receive 100 lashes & to be worked in chains 6 months||Rec[eived] 100 lashes & died in Jail 6 april|
|Charles||Mr Bonnjean||ditto||Being runaway near 17 months ||ditto||Rec[eived] 100 lashes|
1. Read Source 1. Look at the names on the document.
- These enslaved people originated in Africa. Are these African names? Who named them?
- How many names do the enslaved Africans have? Why weren’t they given surnames?
- Which enslaved people are male and which are female? Does their gender make any difference to how they were treated by the court?
- Dominica had been a French possession until 1763. Which of the slaves have French names?