Diamond Jubilee Bonfire, Chippenham, Wiltshire, 1897, Catalogue ref: COPY 1/431/4
Divide the class into small groups/pairs. Give them a print out of both photographs, or project the photographs on a white board so you can COMPARE them. Discuss the following questions:
- What can you see in each photograph?
- What do the photographs show about how people celebrated Queen Victoria’s Jubilee?
- Discuss the original caption of each photograph
- How are the photographs different?
- Which photograph is more useful? Give your reasons.
- Can you make a list of other sources that would help us find out about the Queen Victoria’s Jubilee?