Detail from The Householder’s part in ARP: Meeting Bomb and Gas Dangers: Illustrated London News July 16 1938 (ZPER 34/193)« Return to The Home Front
5. Look at Sources 5 a and b. These are wartime warning posters.
- What dangers do these sources warn the public about?
- Who was the local air raid warden for Drypool Green?
- What was the air raid signal for ‘all clear’?
- In the months leading up to September 1939 many towns practised their air raid signals and taking shelter. Why do you think this was necessary?
- Read the section in Source 5a called ‘Fire Precautions’. Which parts are the public
- likely to follow?
- likely to ignore?
- Look at Source 5b. Read all the labels. How would each precaution help save lives if there was an air raid?