Extract from Dr James Barry’s personal army service record. This page shows his training at Edinburgh University in medicine. Catalogue ref: WO 25/3910.
[N.B. list of named doctors teaching classes shown on the left of document is not transcribed]
Return of the Services 3
[Added comment: ‘See Statements of Services 1, 614’]
James Barry M.D. Assistant Staff Surgeon [Added comment: ‘a woman’]
From 5th July 1813 to 7th April 1824
I commenced the Study of my Profession at the University of Edinburgh as Literary & Medical Student in the year 1810
The following are the classes I attended before and since my entry into the Service
Practice of Physic
Theory of Medicine: Two courses & clinical lectures 3- 6 months 1811 &1812
Chemistry 18 courses 1810, 1811, 1812
Pharmacy 3 courses of Clinical lectures
Anatomy 3 courses & Morbid Anatomy 2 courses
Dissections 3 courses 1810, 11, 12
Clinical surgical lectures
Barclay & Murray’s Private lectures, Dr Duncan Just. Medical Jurisprudence [how scientific/medical knowledge is involved in the law, e.g., in an inquest]
Literary classes in Greek, Natural & Moral Philosophy
Private pupil to Mr Fyfe
Likewise attended the undermentioned Hospitals a regular Pupil, during the Period…
Guys & St Thomas in London for 6 months in the year
Royal Infirmary, Dispensary of Lying in Hospital in Edinburgh for 12 months in the year 1811 as perpetual pupil
in Dublin for Months in the year
in Glasgow for Months in the year
I received a Diploma in 1812 as Doctor of Medicine from the University
« Return to Dr James Barry
- When did Dr James Barry start his studies at Edinburgh University?
- When did he finish?
- What subjects did he study at Edinburgh University?
- Why do you think he studied ‘Botany’ and ‘Medical jurisprudence’? Check the meaning of these terms if necessary.
- What practical training in medicine did James Barry do as part of his studies? Why was this important?
- Why did he study ‘Greek and natural & moral philosophy’ do you think?
- How do you explain the additional comments written on this document by others?
- Can you suggest any other sources which could be used concerning James Barry’s medical training?
- How different is James Barry’s training to that of a doctor in the 18th century or today, according to your own knowledge/research?