Entry from the 1851 census.
|Parish Of St George Hanover Square||City of Westminster|
|Number on census||Street Number or Name of House||Name and surname of each person||Relation to Head of family||Married or not||Age of||Profession or Occupation||Where Born||If – 1. Deaf-and-Dumb
3. Imbecile or Idiot
|1||Buckingham Palace||Her Majesty Alexandrina Victoria||Wife||Mar||31||The Queen||Kensington Palace|
|H.R.H. Francis Albert Augustus Charles Emanuel||Head||Mar||31||Duke Of Saxony. Prince Of Coburg and Gotha||
|H.R.H. Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa||Dau||10||Princess Royal||Buckingham Palace|
|H.R.H. Albert Edward||Son||9||Prince Of Wales||Do|
|H.R.H. Alice Maud Mary||Dau||7||Princess||Do|
|H.R.H. Alfred Ernest Albert||Son||6||Prince Of United Kingdom. Duke Of Saxony. Prince Of Coburg and Gotha||Windsor Castle|
|H.R.H. Helena Augusta Victoria||Dau||4||Princess||Buckingham Palace|
|H.R.H. Louisa Caroline Alberta||Do||3||Princess||Do|
|H.R.H. Arthur William Patrick Albert||Son||11m||Prince Of United Kingdom. Duke Of Saxony. Prince Of Coburg and Gotha||Do|
|2||Buckingham Palace||Amelia Matilda Murray||U||55||Maid Of Honor|
|Lucy Maria Kerr||U||28||Do|
|Mary Percy||U||32||Servant to do|
|Lydia Gratner||U||28||Wardrobe Maid|
|Selina Lindfield||U||28||Princess Royals Draper|
|Total Of Persons||4||10|
1. Take a look at this page for Westminster from the census of 1851
- Whose census return for 1851 is shown here?
- Who is listed as the Head of the household?
- What is this person’s title?
- Does this give us any clues about how the Victorians viewed the position of women?
- Where was this family staying at the time of this census?
- How many children are listed in this family?
- Who else is listed with the family?
- Does anything about this document surprise you?