The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Babies Hospital, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Babies Hospital 

Previous name(s)

West End Day Nursery (1914 - 1924)
Babies Hospital and Mothercraft Centre (1925 reference)  

Address

34/35 Leazes Terrace Newcastle-Upon-Tyne NE7 4LP 

Previous location

33 West Parade, off Westmoreland Road (1914 - 1940?)
Blagdon Hall, Northumberland (1940 - 1948)

Foundation Year

c1916 

Closed

Yes 

Closure year

c1974 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

Provinces (Teaching) 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

United Newcastle 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Not Applicable 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Not Applicable 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Not Applicable 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Not Applicable 

County (before 1974)

Northumberland 

County (1974-1996)

Not Applicable 

County (after 1996)

Not applicable 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

Children

Post 1948

Acute

Other information

The Babies Hospital, Newcastle, had its origins in a day nursery opened by Miss Greta Rowell, for mothers working in local munitions factories during the First World War. Known as the West End Day Nursery, it was based at 33 West Parade off Westmoreland Road. By 1923 there was a shift of emphasis from Day Nursery to Babies Nursing or Mothercraft Training Centre dealing in the main with babies with feeding problems. In 1924 Dr Spence, the Nursery's Honorary Consulting Physician, recommended closing the Nursery to daily children and to increase the number of beds for in-patients and in 1925 its name was changed to Babies Hospital and Mothercraft Centre. During the Second World War, the hospital, with the exception of out-patients, moved to Blagdon Hall, Northumberland. In 1943 Dr Spence became the first professor of paediatrics in England and this led to the removal of the out-patients department at West Parade to the children's clinic at the Royal victoria Infirmary. In 1944 the Babies Hospital was formally amalgamated with the Royal Victoria Infirmary and on 18 May 1948 the hospital at Leazes Terrace was opened. By 1971 paediatric surgical services in Newcastle had shifted to the Fleming Memorial Children's Hospital and in 1973 the official policy was to run down the Babies Hospital. It is now closed.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Tyne and Wear Archives Service

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1926 - 1973

   General

1940 - 1971

   Nursing

1928 - 1946

   Admission & Discharge

1926 - 1973

   Ephemera

1956 - 1964

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.