The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle Upon Tyne

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Newcastle General Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Newcastle (Board of Guardians) Workhouse Hospital (1840 - 1921)
Wingrove Hospital (1921 - 1930); The General Hospital  

Address

Westgate Road Newcastle Upon Tyne NE4 6BE 

Previous location



Foundation Year

1840 

Closed

No 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Northern 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Northern 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Newcastle 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Newcastle 

Current Trust

Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Trust 

Trust From

1998 

County (before 1974)

Northumberland 

County (1974-1996)

Tyne and Wear 

County (after 1996)

Tyne and Wear 

Status

Pre 1948

Poor Law, Local Authority

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

General, Isolation, Maternity

Post 1948

Acute

Other information

In 1839 the Newcastle Board of Guardians decided to build a Union Workhouse on Westgate Hill to centralise facilities for Newcastle's poor. The first buildings to be completed were the Administration Block, a school for children and the workhouse which was to give accommodation to the able-bodied poor and care for the sick poor, maternity cases and imbeciles. By 1859 it had become apparent that facilities for the sick were most undesirable and so the Board of Guardians gave the go-ahead for a separate hospital to be built. The hospital was designed by the Newcastle architect Septimus Oswald and was officially opened on 7 December 1870 by Thomas Ridley, Chairman of the Board of Guardians. By 1914, much development had taken place providing about 500 beds in 5 buildings. In 1921 a separate hospital administration was set up and it was renamed Wingrove Hospital. In 1930 under the new Local Government Act it was handed over to the City Council and the name changed to The General Hospital.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Tyne and Wear Archives Service

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1764 - 1990

   General

1764 - 1940

   Finance

1788 - 1795

   Estates

1835 - 1930

   Nursing

1910 - 1966

   Admission & Discharge

1840 - 1982

   Staff

1901 - 1966

   Ephemera

1930 - 1990

   Pictorial

1897 - 1967

   Other

1912 - 1972

Clinical & Patients

1889 - 1993

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR), National Register of Archives (NRA)

Details

AR: CAT: HO.NGH NRA: CAT: 38686.

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.