*

Newington Green

Newington Green

 

House on the north west corner of Newington Green, then known as 'The Bishops Palace' Believed to have been a house occupied by Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland (d1537). This view is likely to be looking south (end of house abutted on to Newington Green) and with part of the road in the foreground. House had no ecclesiastical connection.

Dated in Hackney Archives catalogue as c 1840 but likely to be 1790s as house demolished by end of 18th century.

Watercolours by Brandard.

 

*