Census Return 1871 (RG 10/868)
Transcript« Return to Victorian family history
2. You can find out more about William and his family from the 1871 census return.
Each column in the census tells us different things. The first column gives the address of the family. Reading from left to right, you can find out the name of the person, their relationship to the head of the family (usually the oldest man), if they were married or not, their age, occupation (job) and place of birth.
- Where did William live?
- What did William’s father do for a living?
- How old was William’s mother?
- Where was William’s mother born?
- How many brothers did William have?
- Where was William’s sister born?