How do I look for the place I want to find?

        introductionActivity 1Non flash activityWhere can I see the Census
  The Census is listed by place-name, be it part of a city, a town or village. At the National Archives there are street indexes to many of the larger towns and cities, whilst a number of returns have been copied and published or surname-indexed. A national personal name index to the 1881 Census, containing almost twenty-six million names of English, Welsh and Scottish residents, is available on CDROM at the National Archives and elsewhere. You can also search the personal name indexes county by county, or for the whole of England and Wales, Channel Islands and Isle of Man on microfiche at TNA, local record offices and libraries. Census records are also searchable online through (to 1891) and at 1901 Census Online.  

Are there any photographs of the area I want to investigate?

There is no guarantee you can find old photographs of the area you want to look at. However, you will often find that your local archive or library may have a collection of some sort. Also check bookshops for local history books. The place we used to get the photographs for the Your turn Investigation was the The National Monuments Record (English Heritage), who have an amazing collection of photographs from all over the country.






National Monuments Record Centre
Great Western Village
Kemble Drive Swindon
Tel: 01793 414600
Fax: 01793 414606


The London Branch is:
National Monuments Record
55 Blandford Street
London W1H 3AF
Tel: 020 7208 8200
Fax: 020 7224 5333