WANDSWORTH AND DISTRICT GAS COMPANY
||Wandsworth and District Gas Company; Wandsworth, Wimbledon and Epsom District Gas Company
The Wandsworth gasworks were established in 1834 on the south bank of the Thames close to the Wandsworth Bridge. The early company supplied Wandsworth, Putney and part of Battersea. The Wandsworth and Putney Gaslight and Coke Company was incorporated by AoP in 1856 following its formation by Deed of Settlement in Feb 1854. The first chairman was R.Barchard who was succeeded by James Howell and his son Thomas Howell. In 1912 the company amalgamated with the Mitcham and Wimbledon District Gaslight Company and the Epsom and Ewell Gas Company to form the Wandsworth, Wimbledon and Epsom District Gas Company. In 1931 the Kingston upon Thames Gas Company and the Sutton Gas Company were acquired and the title changed to the Wandsworth and District Gas Company. The headquarters of the company was at Fairfield Rd, Wandsworth. In 1936 the Leatherhead Gas & Lighting Company and the Walton upon Thames and Weybridge Gas Company were absorbed. The chairman between 1903 and 1925 was H.E.Jones who was followed by his son F.H.Jones. The company owned a fleet of colliers to supply coal from the NE of England. The first steam collier was acquired in 1906 - the SS "Radcliffe" which carried about 1050 tons of coal. Pontoons were also built with steam cranes to unload the colliers. The SS "Wandle" was purchased in 1909 and became the flagship of the fleet. The company purchased land at Worcester Park in Sussex in 1924 for additional gasholders. On nationalisation in 1949 the undertaking became part of the West Surrey Division of the SEGB.
The records of the smaller gas companies which were absorbed by Wandsworth DGC are listed within the main group of Wandsworth DGC records as the individual records were absorbed by the administration at Fairfield Rd. AoPs relating to old gas companies prior to amalgamation are listed with Wandsworth DGC AoPs. There are a small number of records of former undertakings which were clearly not a part of Wandsworth DGC collection and these are listed under their former names - e.g. Leatherhead Gas Company etc.
This collection includes admin records; legal papers; Estate and Property records; Personnel records; Transport records; Miscellaneous; Coal and Shipping administration; finance; employment records, and Estate photographs.
The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2013
The records described on this page are held by