Wells Blue School
Wells Blue School was founded in 1654 by Margaret, widow of Ezekiell Barkham of Wells, gent. The charity was endowed with property at Henstridge, the income to be used for paying a schoolmaster's salary of £20-0-0 pa. and the residue for apprenticing the boys when they could 'read, write and cast accounts'.
In 1675 by the will of Adrian Hickes of London a charity for the benefit of the poor of St. Cuthbert's parish was established although lands in Wells and Glastonbury to endow the charity were not purchased until 1701.
In 1713 a voluntary subscription school was established in Wells for boys and girls and a schoolroom was built for this purpose by Philip Hodges. He also purchased land in Glastonbury St. John, the income from which was to be used to pay the master's salary.
In 1715 it was proposed that Barkham's and Hickes's charities should be amalgamated.
In 1723 Philip Hodges by his will empowered the master of the subscription school established in 1713 to teach also the pupils of Barkham's charity school. Lands in Lympsham, East Pennard and Pylle were purchased in 1732 and an estate at Norwood Park, Glastonbury in 1735.
In 1740 the estates of all three charities were transferred to new trustees. Some property in Frome was acquired between 1732 and 1764 and in Queen Camel between 1730 and 1739.