Access to Archives

Part of the UK archives network

WATFORD METHODIST CIRCUIT


The hierarchical structure of this catalogue is shown below. See the entire contents of the catalogue

Reference NM7
Covering dates 1828-1987
Held by Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies
Extent 490 files
Creators Watford Methodist Circuit, Watford, Hertfordshire
Related information Hertfordshire Methodist Chapels
Alphabetical list of chapels for which records have been received in the Record Office
ALDENHAM NM7P
ARKESDEN (Essex) NM9B
ARLESEY Christchurch NM4D
St John NM4N
ASHWELL NM11C
BALDOCK NM4U
BARNET EAST Brookside NM1C
BARNET HIGH NM1A
BARNET NEW NM1B
BENINGTON NM4E
BERDEN (Essex) NM9C
BERKHAMSTED Cowper Road NM3C
High Street NM3E
BIGGLESWADE (Bedfordshire) NM11A
BISHOP'S STORTFORD NM9A
BOREHAMWOOD NM1F
BOXMOOR NM3H
BURNT MILL (Essex) NM9D
BUSHEY HEATH NM7N
BUSHEY AND OXHEY NM7Q
CHESHUNT NM10D
CHORLEY WOOD NM7L
CROXLEY GREEN NM7M
CUPID GREEN (Hemel Hempstead) NM7H
DASSELLS (Braughing) NM9G
FLAMSTEAD NM2G
Trowley Bottom NM2K
GADDESDEN ROW NM2J
GRAVELEY NM4F
HARPENDEN High Street NM2B
Batford NM2D
Southdown Road NM2C
Kinsbourne Green NM2A
HATFIELD Birchwood NM5E
Broadway NM5D
Oxlease NM5F
HEMEL HEMPSTEAD Marlowes NM3B
Lower Marlow NM3D
Wesley NM3F
Bourne NM3H
Cupid Green NM7H
HENLOW (Bedfordshire) NM4V
HERTFORD NM10A
HINXWORTH NM11B
HITCHIN Brand Street NM4A
Nightingale Road NM4B
Christchurch NM4C
Walsworth NM4L
ICKLEFORD NM4G
KIMPTON NM2F
KINSBOURNE GREEN (Harpenden) NM2A
KNEBWORTH NM8A
LANGLEY, ABBOTS NM7C
LANGLEY, KINGS NM7G
LETCHWORTH Broadway NM4P
Central NM4Q
North Avenue NM4R
LEY HILL (Buckinghamshire) NM3K
MARKYATE NM2H
NASH MILLS NM3G
OFFLEY NM4H
PEGSDON NM4I
PELHAM, FURNEUX NM9H
PIRTON NM4J
POTTERS BAR NM1D
RADLETT NM1E
REDBOURN NM5G
RICKMANSWORTH High Street NM7E
Mill End NM7F
SAFFRON WALDEN (Essex) NM9F
ST ALBANS Boundary Road NM5B
Marlborough Road NM5A
Hatfield Road NM5J
SEWARDSTONE (Essex) NM10E
SHEERING (Essex) NM9E
SHENLEY NM5H
SLEAPSHYDE NM5C
STEVENAGE Old Town NM6A
Chells NM6B
Broadwater NM6C
STOTFOLD (Befordshire) Brook Street NM4S
High Street NM4T
STUDHAM (Bedfordshire) NM2L
TRING Langdon Street NM3J
TROWLEY BOTTOM (Flamstead) NM2K
TWO WATERS NM3A
WALKERN NM4K
WALSWORTH (Hitchin) NM4L
WALTHAM ABBEY (Essex) NM10F
WARE NM10B
WARESIDE NM10C
WATFORD North NM7B
Queen's Road NM7 & NM7J
St Albans Road NM7I
Vicarage Road NM7D
Whippendell Road NM7K
WELWYN Oaklands NM8B
WESTON NM4M
WHEATHAMPSTEAD The Mill NM5I
The Folly NM2E
WHETSTONE (Middlesex) NM1G


Administrative history:
Introduction
Watford Primitive Methodist Circuit
Watford Primitive Methodists were worshipping in a room in Hedges Yard, High Street by 1840. A chapel was in use in Carey Place, Watford by 1865 [see NM7J]. The circuit also included chapels at Croxley Green [see NM7M], Letchmore Heath [see NM7P], Bushey [see NM7N], Redbourn [see NM5G] and St Albans. In 1877 the chapels at Redbourn and St Albans formed themselves into a separate Primitive Methodist circuit. For later details concerning chapels in these two places see NM5. By 1893 the Watford circuit included the chapels at St Albans Road and Queen's Road Watford, Bushey Heath, Croxley Green, Aldenham and Chorleywood. A further church in Whippendell Road, Watford was opened in 1903, [see NM7I-P]. For a short period from 1897 this circuit also included Northwood and Ruislip, Middlesex. In 1901 a separate Harrow Mission was formed and the Northwood and Ruislip churches were removed from the Watford plan.
On the union of the Methodist churches in 1933 the Primitive churches were constituted a separate circuit named Watford (No 2). Not until 1947 were the former Primitive and Wesleyan (Watford No 1 circuit) churches united as one circuit.
Watford Wesleyan Methodist Circuit
A Wesleyan Society was first formed in Watford in 1808. Services were held in the Market Place then later in a room in Hedges Yard, High Street. In 1813 Watford formed part of the Luton Circuit. Records of this Circuit are now held by Bedfordshire Record Office, County Hall, Bedford MK42 9AP. A chapel was erected in Water Lane in 1814 and a second chapel opened in 1838 in Farthing Lane. By this date Watford was included in the St Albans Circuit [see NM5]. The Farthing Lane chapel was closed in 1868 on the opening of the chapel in Queen's Road [see NM7A].
A separate Watford circuit was formed in 1872 and as well as Watford and Rickmansworth also included the societies at Pinner, Eastcote and Harefield in Middlesex transferred from the Uxbridge circuit. In 1904 this circuit was amalgamated with the Hemel Hempstead circuit to include Watford (churches now existed in Queen's Road, Vicarage Road and St Albans Road, Watford and Villiers Road, New Bushey), Rickmansworth, Harefield, Pinner, Eastcote, Heronsgate, Hemel Hempstead, Nash Mills, Two Waters, Berkhamsted, Kings Langley and Abbotts Langley. The section including Heronsgate, Northwood, Eastcote, Pinner, Harefield and Rickmansworth was transferred to the Harrow circuit in 1922.
On the union of the Methodist churches in 1933 the Watford Wesleyan churches remained as a separate circuit known as Watford (No 1) consisting of Queen's Road, Vicarage Road and Harebreaks (formerly known as St Albans Road) Watford, Bushey and Oxhey (formerly Villiers Road, New Bushey), Hemel Hempstead, Nash Mills, Two Waters, Berkhamsted, Cupid Green, Kings Langley and Abbotts Langley. The Watford Primitive churches St Albans Road and Whippendell Road, Watford, Bushey Heath, Croxley Green, Aldenham and Chorleywood forming Watford (No 2) circuit. Not until 1947 were the two circuits amalgamated, with the addition of Rickmansworth and Harefield from the Harrow circuit to form a new Watford circuit.
The Hemel Hempstead and Berkhamsted circuit was formed in 1957 and the following chapels from the Watford circuit were transferred to it: Hemel Hempstead (Marlowes and Wesley), Two Waters, Boxmoor (opened 1953) and Nash Mills [see NM3].
The church at Springwell Avenue, Mill End, Rickmansworth was transferred to the Watford circuit from Chalfont and Chesham in 1958. It was closed in 1964 on the opening of the new church in Berry Lane, Rickmansworth. Harefield was transferred to Uxbridge circuit in 1958. The church at Cupid Green was closed in 1955 and at Chorleywood in 1969. A church at Carpenders Park, Watford in Prestwick Road was opened in 1953 and Queen's Road, Watford closed in 1966.
The Watford circuit now includes the churches at Whippendell Road, Vicarage Road, Harebreaks and Carpenders Park, Watford, Bushey and Oxhey, Bushey Heath, Rickmansworth (Berry Lane and High Street), Croxley Green, Abbotts Langley and Kings Langley.
The Watford circuit now forms part of the London North West District of the Methodist Church




The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown, © 2001-2014

The records described on this page are held by Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies