Physical training for pupils in 1947 at the new Bourne Secondary School in Ruislip, Middlesex.
The number of pupils in maintained schools doubled between 1945 and the early 1970s. The number of pupils in secondary schools increased sevenfold - from half a million to four million.
Search using Secondary schools Comprehensive schools Grammar schools
- Kerckhoff, A.C., Going Comprehensive in England and Wales: A Study of Uneven Change (London: Routledge Falmer, 1996)
- Gosden, P.H.J.H., The Education System Since 1944 (Oxford: Martin Robertson, 1983)
- Maclure, S., A History of Education in London 1870-1990 (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1990)
- McKenzie, J., Changing Education: A Sociology of Education Since 1944 (Harlow: Pentice Hall, 2001)
- Pedley, R., 2nd ed., The Comprehensive School (Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1972)
- Rubinstein, D. & Simon, B., The Evolution of the Comprehensive School 1926-72 (London: Routledge, 1973)
- Simon, B., Education and the Social Order, 1940-90 (London: Lawrence and Wishart, 1990)