The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Bishops Stortford Infectious Diseases Hospital, Thorley

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Bishops Stortford Infectious Diseases Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Bishops Stortford Isolation Hospital
Hadham and Stansted Joint Isolation Hospital  

Address

Great Hadham Road Thorley  

Foundation Year

c1902 

Closed

Yes 

Closure year

1948 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

Not Applicable 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Not Applicable 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Not Applicable 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Not Applicable 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Not Applicable 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Not Applicable 

County (before 1974)

Hertfordshire 

County (1974-1996)

Not Applicable 

County (after 1996)

Not applicable 

Status

Pre 1948

Local Authority

Post 1948

Type

Pre 1948

Isolation

Post 1948

Other information

The Bishops Stortford Isolation Hospital (also known as the Hadham and Stansted Joint Isolation Hospital) was erected at various times between 1902 and 1906 at a cost of about 1800. It was situated in the Great Hadham Road, Thorley. It was managed by the Bishops Stortford Isolation Hospital Committee, consisting of representatives from Sawbridgeworth Urban District council, Bishops Stortford Urban District Council, Hadham Rural District Council and Stansted Rural District Council (Essex). It housed about twenty-seven patients. The hospital closed some time prior to 1948. Area including hospital transferred to Bishops Stortford Civil Parish by Local Government Board Order 1935.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1906 - 1938

   General

1906 - 1917

   Finance

1907 - 1938

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

At Repository: CAT:HI4

Catalogues in A2A

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=046-h&cid=0External website - link opens in a new window

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.