The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Port Talbot and District General Hospital, Port Talbot

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Port Talbot and District General Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Port Talbot General Hospital  

Address

Hospital Road Port Talbot SA12 6PD 

Previous location

Brynsiriol




Foundation Year

1913 

Closed

Yes 

Closure year

2002 

Administrative authorities

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Mid Glamorgan 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Wales 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Wales 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

West Glamorgan 

District Health Authority (1982- )

West Glamorgan 

County (before 1974)

Glamorgan 

County (1974-1996)

West Glamorgan 

County (after 1996)

Glamorgan 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

General, Children

Post 1948

Acute

Other information

The movement to set up the hospital was started by Rhys Davies, the Mayor of Aberavon. Two large donations were received from Sir Sydney Byass, on behalf of Mansel Tinplate Works and Sir Charles Wright on behalf of Port Talbot Steel Works. Employees from these works also donated a 1 a head. The hospital was erected on a site donated by Colonel Sir Arthur Pendarvis Vivian and opened in 1916 with eighteen beds and four cots. The hospital took over a cottage hospital a few years later in order to create more accommodation. By 1927 Aberavon Hospital and Margam Cottage Hospital had amalgamated with Port Talbot and District General Hospital. As a memorial to Sir Sydney Byass a children's ward and additional bedrooms for staff were added in 1931. In December 2002 Port Talbot General and Neath General Hospitals merged and moved to the new Neath Port Talbot Hospital site.

Records can be found at:

notes

  West Glamorgan Archive Service

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1927 - 1994

   Finance

1940 - 1948

   Nursing

1927 - 1974

   Admission & Discharge

1927 - 1976

   Staff

1984 - 1994

   Ephemera

1947 - 1947

   Other

1980 - 1980

Clinical & Patients

1944 - 1994

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.