The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Sunnyside Royal Hospital, by Montrose

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Sunnyside Royal Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Royal Asylum of Montrose (1781)  

Address

Sunnyside Hillside by Montrose DD10 9JP (Since 1858) 

Previous location

The Links, Montrose, 1781-1858

Foundation Year

1781 

Closed

No 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

Eastern 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Sunnyside Royal Hospital 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Tayside 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Tayside 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Angus 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Angus 

Current Trust

Tayside Primary Health Care NHS Trust 

Trust From

1996 

County (before 1974)

Forfarshire 

County (1974-1996)

Angus 

County (after 1996)

Angus 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

Mental

Post 1948

Mental

Other information

The Royal Asylum of Montrose was instituted in 1781 by Mrs Susan Carnegie of Charlton, for the treatment of private patients and the poor in the counties of Forfar and Kincardine, previous to which the insane had been treated in the Old Tollboth, Montrose High Street. The new building on the Links, Montrose, was the first psychiatric institution in Scotland. In 1858 it was transferred to a new site, the farm of Sunnyside, 4 miles N of Montrose, and a new building named Carnegie House. Howden Villa for male pauper patients and Northesk Villa for female pauper patients were completed in 1904. The lease of Sunnyside Farm expired in 1911 and over 52 acres were purchased from the proprietor, Mr Duncan, for 4500. In 1914 a new Royal Charter of Incorporation was granted, and the Infirmary and Dispensary separated and received its own charter.

Records can be found at:

Dundee University Archive, Records Management and Museum Services

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1600 - 1973

   General

1600 - 1973

   Finance

1808 - 1941

   Admission & Discharge

1849 - 1962

   Pictorial

-

Clinical & Patients

1818 - 1958

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

Notes

THB 23

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.