Gas Raid Quiz and Gas Mask Leaflets Catalogue ref: HO 186/2247
What to do about GAS
Hints to mothers
- Learn to put on baby’s gasmask quickly, while wearing your own. Your Health Visitor will show you how. If you don’t know her address ask the Town Hall or at the Child Welfare Centre.
- With more than one baby you need help. Arrange with a neighbour, or find out if your local W.V.S. [Women’s Voluntary Service] has a Housewives’ Service.
- Toddlers soon learn to put on their own masks. Let them make a game of it and they will wear their gas masks happily.
In a gas attack, first put on your own mask, then you will be better able to help baby.
MAKE SURE YOUR FAMILY HAVE THEIR GAS MASKS WITH THEM NIGHT & DAY« Return to The Home Front
3. Look at Sources 3 a, b and c. These were leaflets produced during the war.
- Who produced these leaflets?
- What dangers are these leaflets about?
- How many different types of gas masks would the government have to provide?
- How useful do you think the advice offered in these leaflets is?
- The government had to be careful not to scare people, but at the same time it wanted people to take notice and be prepared. How do these leaflets:
- get people to take notice?
- educate people?
- reassure people?