The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Watford General Hospital (Peace Memorial Wing), Watford

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Watford General Hospital (Peace Memorial Wing) 

Previous name(s)

Watford District Cottage Hospital (1885 - 1925)
Watford and District Peace Memorial Hospital (1925 - 1948)
Watford Peace Memorial Hospital (1948 - c.1965)  

Address

Rickmansworth Road Watford WD1 7HH 

Foundation Year

1885 

Closed

Yes 

Closure year

1982 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

North West Metropolitan 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

West Hertfordshire 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

North West Thames 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

South West 

County (before 1974)

Hertfordshire 

County (1974-1996)

Hertfordshire 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

General

Post 1948

Acute

Other information

The Peace Memorial Hospital in Watford began life as the Watford District Cottage Hospital in the 1880s. However, by 1917 the idea of replacing the cottage Hospital with a more modern hospital, as a memorial to those who had died in the First World War and as a permanent memorial to peace, was discussed. The project was financed on the whole by public subscription and donation. The Watford Board of Guardians bought the old cottage hospital and a new building was erected in Rickmansworth Road. The Watford and District Peace Memorial Hospital was opened in 1925 by Princess Mary. On 5 July 1948 control of the hospital passed to the North West Metropolitan Hospital Board and became known as the Watford Peace Memorial Hospital. In 1965 the hospital moved to a site in Vicarage Road on the edge of Watford and became a part of Watford General Hospital. In 1985 the remaining services in the original building were moved to the Shroedells (the old workhouse) site and in 1986 the buildings were demolished.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1919 - 1935

   General

1919 - 1935

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

At Repository: CAT:HV8

Catalogues in A2A

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=046-h&cid=0External website - link opens in a new window

notes

  Watford Museum

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1891 - 1909

   General

1891 - 1909

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG)

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

Catalogues in A2A

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=046-h&cid=0External website - link opens in a new window

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.