The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Lowestoft and North Suffolk Hospital, Lowestoft

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Lowestoft and North Suffolk Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Mutford and Lothingland General Dispensary and Infirmary (1822 - c.1879)
Lowestoft Hospital (c.1879 - c.1923)  

Address

Tennyson Road Lowestoft NR32 1PT 

Previous location

Bell Lane (later called Crown Street) (1821 - c.1839)
St Mary's Plain (c.1839 - 1882 )
Ten Acre Field (1882 - ?)
High Street, Lowestoft (? - 1926 at the latest)

Foundation Year

1822 

Closed

No 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

East Anglian 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Norwich, Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

East Anglian 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

East Anglian 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Great Yarmouth and Waveney 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Great Yarmouth and Waveney 

Current Trust

James Paget Healthcare NHS Trust 

Trust From

1993 

County (before 1974)

Suffolk 

County (1974-1996)

Suffolk 

County (after 1996)

Suffolk 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

General

Post 1948

Acute

Other information

In 1822 a public meeting decided to establish a dispensary at a house in Bell Lane (later called Crown Street). Despite financial difficulties the dispensary functioned until 1827 when a collection was started to raise money for an infirmary. The infirmary, on St Mary's Plain, opened in 1839. Plans to expand the infirmary led to the building of the Lowestoft and North Suffolk Hospital in 1882 on Ten Acre Field.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Suffolk Record Office, Lowestoft Branch

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1940 - 1949

   Finance

1940 - 1949

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

Reference: HE203/1-2

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.