The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Hemel Hempstead General Hospital (West Herts Wing), Hemel Hempstead

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Hemel Hempstead General Hospital (West Herts Wing) 

Previous name(s)

West Hertfordshire Infirmary (1827 - 1908)
West Hertfordshire Hospital (1908 - c.1970)  

Address

Hillfield Road Hemel Hempstead HP2 4AD 

Previous location

Piccotts End, Hemel Hempstead (1827 - 1832)
Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead (1832 - 1877)
Hillfield Road (1877 - ?)

Foundation Year

1827 

Closed

No 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

North West Metropolitan 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

West Hertfordshire 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

North West Thames 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

North West Thames 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

North West 

District Health Authority (1982- )

North West Hertfordshire 

Current Trust

Sr Albans and Hemel Hempstead NHS Trust 

Trust From

1994 

County (before 1974)

Hertfordshire 

County (1974-1996)

Hertfordshire 

County (after 1996)

Hertfordshire 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

General

Post 1948

Acute

Other information

The West Herts Hospital was originally established in a row of converted cottages at Piccotts End in 1827. Its first benefactor was Sir Astley Paston Cooper, who had a country house at Gadegridge. He responded to the increasing pressure from his tenants for medical treatment. By 1831 the hospital had outgrown the original buildings and Sir John Serbright provided £13,000 for a new establishment, known now as Cheere House which was opened in 1832. In 1877 Princess Mary of Teck opened new hospital buildings with room for fifty patients and seven nurses. In 1899 the hospital installed X-Ray facilities, claiming to be amongst the first in England to do so. From 1890 nurses were able to train on the premises and in 1919 its function as a general nurse training school was approved. In 1927 the Marnham Maternity Ward was opened. The Hospital relied on charitable donations, and before 1948, fund raising and contributory insurance schemes comprised its main source of income. Initially a £1 annual subscription or a £10 donation enabled the donor to recommend one out-patient and to become a Governor, and an annual subscription of £5 or more enabled an in-patient to be recommended. By 1869 the donor could recommend for the supply of a truss or elastic stocking. By 1910 the Hospital was in great financial difficulty which was somewhat eased by the 1911 National Health Insurance Act. This resulted in the compulsory insurance of workers who earned less than £160 per annum, which entitled the worker to free medical treatment from the GP with whom he was registered. By early 1913, most of Hertfordshire's doctors had agreed to serve on the 'Panel' and this relieved pressure on the out-patient department of the hospital. In 1932 the hospital introduced a contributory scheme such that participants could receive in-patient treatment and maintenance and free out-patient treatment. The hospital is now a part of the Hemel Hempstead General Hospital.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1826 - 1950

   General

1826 - 1948

   Finance

1827 - 1948

   Estates

1833 - 1914

   Admission & Discharge

1893 - 1947

   Staff

1943 - 1946

   Ephemera

1912 - 1950

Clinical & Patients

1878 - 1947

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG), Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR), National Register of Archives (NRA)

Details

AR: CAT: HV2. NRA: 18363 Groves, Stocken and Groves.

Catalogues in A2A

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=046-h&cid=0External website - link opens in a new window

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.