The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Mothers' Hospital of the Salvation Army, London

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Mothers' Hospital of the Salvation Army 

Previous name(s)

Mothers Hospital (1914 - 1922)
Ivy House Hospital (1913)
Ivy House Maternity Hospital (1884 - 1913)  

Address

153 - 165 Lower Clapton Road Hackney London E5 8EN 

Previous location

280 Mare Street, Hackney (1884 - 1913)

Foundation Year

1884 

Closed

Yes 

Closure year

1986 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

North East Metropolitan 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Hackney Group 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

North East Thames 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

North East Thames 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

City and Hackney (Teaching) 

District Health Authority (1982- )

City and Hackney 

County (before 1974)

Middlesex/London 

County (1974-1996)

Greater London 

County (after 1996)

Not applicable 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

Maternity

Post 1948

Maternity

Other information

Associated institutions - ante natal hostel, and six District Nursing Posts. Cotland, 11 Springfield Road Upper Clapton - A Mother and Baby Home 1912 - 1920. Willersley Castle, Matlock - Evacuation Maternity Home 1939 - 1945. Bragborough Hall, Northamptonshire - Evacuation Maternity Home 1939 - 1945. The Mothers' Hospital The Mothers' hospital traces its origins to the work for unmarried mothers begun in the earliest days of the Salvation Army. To be unmarried and pregnant, a hundred years ago, was to be a social outcast. Employers, and often parents, would dismiss the poor unfortunate to fend for herself in a hostile world. 'Refuge Homes' for poor and destitute women were provided in private houses in various parts of London, and as part of this scheme the Salvation Army established a home at Ivy House, Mare Street, Hackney in 1884. Many of the women seeking shelter there were pregnant, and in 1888 the Salvation Army decided to dedicate Ivy House to the confinement of unmarried mothers. Although maternity hospitals had existed in this country since the eighteenth century these were almost entirely reserved for married mothers only, this was the first time that maternity hospital facilities had been combined with a 'Home of Refuge'. The hospital trained its first student midwife in 1889, and more than 250 pupil midwives graduated from the school during its 18 years of existence at Ivy House. During this period the hospital continued to expand and more buildings were bought. One of the later new developments was a mother-and-baby home called 'Cotland', based at 11 Springfield Road, Upper Clapton. It existed between 1912 and 1920, and many women mentioned in the records of the Mothers' Hospital gave Cotland as an address. Finally, the Salvation Army purchased land in Lower Clapton Road, London E5 in order to build a hospital dedicated to unmarried mothers. In 1912 the foundation stone for the new Mothers' Hosptial was laid by Princess Louise, daughter to Queen Victoria, and the hospital was officially opened in 1913. Designed for 600 births per year it soon outgrew its facilities and various extensions were made over the years. The new hospital continued to uphold the teaching tradition of Ivy House, midwives were trained to the standards of the London Obstetrical Society and of the Central Midwives Board (CMB). Pupils attended classes for Parts I and II of the examinations of the CMB, and gained experience both on the wards and in District work. The First World War meant that the hospital opened its doors to both married and unmarried women. Soldiers could not always sent sufficient money to their families, and the loss of many lives often caused acute poverty. Therefore it was decided that the hospital would be allowed to admit married women whose husbands were in the Army or Navy, or had been killed. Since that time the hospital accepted both married and unmarried mothers. Between the two World Wars many improvements and additions were made. In 1921 the new Nurses' Home and Theater were opened by Queen Mary. By the 1930s the number of births had risen to 2,000 per annum. The hospital suffered damage during the Second World War, but fortunately there was no great loss of life. Arrangements were made for evacuation to Willersley Castle in Matlock, Derbyshire and to Bragborough Hall, Northamptonshire. However, the hosptial remained in service throughout the war for those who did not leave London. In all, 6,587 babies were born there between September 1939 and August 1945. Research and innovation have always been encouraged at the Mothers'. One interesting experiment which foreshadowed modern techniques of nursing was dictated by Wartime conditions. In degiance of current practice, patients were made ambulant on the second day after delivery. The purpose of this carefully controlled experiment was to facilitate the orderly transfer of patients to the air-raid shelter and make more shelter space available. Margaret Basden, consultant obstetrician in residence during the War, recorded 'from personal experience how smoothly the scheme works, how well the patients stand it, and how striking has been the absence of any confusion or panic'. With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948, the hospital was given over to the Minister for Health, and was later administered as part of the Hakney Group of Hospitals. However, Health Service Authorities agreed that a proportion of the staff should be members of the Salvation Army and thus the hospital was able to maintain its individuality. In 1952 Lorne House was acquired opposite the hospital and used as a training centre and home for 24 nurses. There was also a visiting service provided for mothers giving birth in their own homes. Between 1948 and 1974 the hospital belonged to the Hospital Management Committee (Hackney Group) and on 1 April 1974 the group became part of the City and Hackney Health District. The Mothers' Hospital was closed in 1986, and all obstetric services were transferred to the Homerton Hospital.

Records can be found at:

notes

  London Metropolitan Archives

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1912 - 1947

   General

1912 - 1947

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG)

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

Brief Guide: Hospital and Charity Annual Reports.

Notes

Annual Reports - Annual Report Collection

Salvation Army International Heritage Centre, Archives

Record type

Date range

Finding aids

Finding aids

Location of finding aids

Details

notes

  St Bartholomew's Hospital Archives and Museum

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1862 - 1986

   General

1915 - 1969

   Estates

1862 - 1906

   Admission & Discharge

1940 - 1986

   Pictorial

1915 - 1979

Clinical & Patients

1913 - 1984

Finding aids

Finding aids

Brief Guide(BG), Catalogue, Card Index, Computerised

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR), National Register of Archives (NRA), Wellcome Library (WIHM)

Details

 
 
search again