The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
   
 
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window
 
 
 

Details: Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle Upon Tyne

search again
 
 
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records

Name

 

Present name

Royal Victoria Infirmary 

Previous name(s)

Newcastle Upon Tyne Infirmary (1751 - 1906)  

Address

Queen Victoria Road Newcastle Upon Tyne NE1 4LP 

Previous location

Gallowgate (1751 - 1753)
Forth Banks (1753 - 1906)
Leazes (1906 - ?)

Foundation Year

1751 

Closed

No 

Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

Provinces (Teaching) 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

United Newcastle 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

Northern 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

Northern 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Newcastle 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Newcastle 

Current Trust

Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Trust 

Trust From

1998 

County (before 1974)

Northumberland 

County (1974-1996)

Tyne and Wear 

County (after 1996)

Tyne and Wear 

Status

Pre 1948

Voluntary

Post 1948

NHS

Type

Pre 1948

General

Post 1948

Acute

Other information

In 1751 a public subscription was raised to fund an Infirmary for Newcastle. The foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1751 on a site at Forth Banks given by Newcastle Coporation. As an interim measure until the hospital could be completed, a house was let in Gallowgate in May 1751 for the reception of patients. This contained 23 beds which soon had maximum occupancy and so rooms in adjoining houses had to be hired to meet the demand for admission. The Infirmary was ready for the reception of patients in October 1753. By 1896 it was generally agreed that the Infirmary was too overcrowded and instead of extending the building at Forth Banks, it was decided to build a new hospital on the Leazes to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. Money for this was raised again by public subscription. John Hall, who died in June 1899, bequeathed £100,000 on the understanding that the public subscription should raise another £100,000 which it soon did. Designs by Messrs WL Newcomb and Percy Adams were accepted and a contract for building the hospital for a sum of £203,527 was entered into. In 1901 Mr Watson Armstrong and his wife donated a further £100,000 in memory of Lord Armstrong. The foundation stone was laid by the Prince of Wales on 20 June 1900 and he, as King Edward VII, also opened the Royal Victoria Infirmary on 11 July 1906.

Records can be found at:

notes

  Wellcome Library

Record type

Date range

Clinical & Patients

1879 - 1881

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

Notes

Casebook of C. M. Goyder, House Surgeon at Sheffield General Infirmary and later Newcastle-upon-Tyne Infirmary, containing details of various cases admitted to both institutions, 1879-81. With some additional medical memoranda. Some of the cases are illustrated by sketches and photographs. Many were reported in the medical press, and the volume includes numerous cuttings. MS 7393

notes

  Tyne and Wear Archives Service

Record type

Date range

Administrative

1750 - 1986

   General

1751 - 1983

   Finance

1809 - 1971

   Estates

1889 - 1912

   Nursing

1895 - 1982

   Admission & Discharge

1751 - 1979

   Staff

1860 - 1971

   Ephemera

1750 - 1986

   Pictorial

1803 - 1966

Clinical & Patients

1803 - 1979

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)

Details

 
 
search again
 
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.