NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that, on the 12th day of December next, the Guardians of the Poor of the Poplar Union will proceed to consider the question of the expediency [need] of assisting the
EMIGRATION TO CANADA
Of such of the following children as may be then maintained in the District or other School chargeable to this Union by reason of their having been deserted, or otherwise abandoned, by their Parents, and who by age, physical capacity and otherwise may then be found to be eligible for such emigration, namely:–
|BYFORD, WILLIAM||11||HAGERTY, ELLEN||11|
|“ FREDERICK||9||HEWSON, GEORGE||11|
|BROWNING, SAMUEL||7||“ JOSPEH||10|
|“ FREDERICK||5||HODGE, EVA||8|
|BERRY, ALFRED||12||MAKER, GEORGE||5|
|“ FREDERICK||8||“ ELIZABETH||4|
|BRIGHTWELL, ELIZABETH||11||MEREDITH, EMMA||10|
|BROWN, DOLLY||12||“ CHARLES||8|
|BRIAN, JAMES||9||“ WALTER||7|
|“ MARY||6||MONK, MARY ANN||11|
|“ PATRICK||5||“ ELIZA||8|
|BRITTAIN, ADA||9||“ RACHEL||6|
|“ CHARLES||3||MARTIN, FREDERICK||8|
|“ WILLIAM||2||“ HENRY||7|
|BOLTON, BERTIE||5||“ AMELIA||4|
|“ EDITH||8||NEWBERRY, ALBERT||11|
|CAVERLEY, ARCHIBALD||10||“ WILLIAM||9|
|CRAWLEY, ANN MARY||13||OLDING, SUSAN||7|
|CALLAGHAN, MARGARET||9||OXHALL, RICHARD||5|
|“ ELLEN||6||“ EDWARD||3|
|DEELY, LOUISA||4||PRATT, ROBERT||9|
|“ LOUISA||14||SOUTH, CATHERINE||11|
|HOLMES, CHARLOTTE||12||“ GEORGE||8|
|“ JANE||9||SHERVILLE, PERCY||8|
|HAMILTON, ARTHUR JOHN||11||SHACHL, ALBERT||11|
|“ WILLIAM||7||SILK, HARRIET||10|
|“ GEORGE||4||WHITWROWE, JENNIE||4|
|“ GEORGE||6||“ MARGARET||4|
|“ MARGARET||2||WILLIAMS, JOHN||11|
|HUGHES, ALBERT||13||WARD, MARY ANN||14|
|“ FANNY||12||WILKINSON, THOMAS||11|
|HANCOCK, ALICE||12||“ SARAH||10|
|“ ARTHUR||10||“ HENRY||6|
|“ HERBERT||8||WILLMOTT, JEFFERY||10|
|“ ALBERT||5||“ SARAH||4|
JAMES R. COLLINS, Clerk
Union Offices: High Street, Poplar.
September 12th, 1884.
« Return to Child migration
A poster from the Poplar Poor Law Union in London listing children proposed for emigration to Canada, 12th September 1884, Catalogue ref: MH 12/7698.
- Why is it proposed that these children should be sent to Canada?
- Why does the poster display their names and ages?
- What is the age of the youngest child in the list?
- Why did Poplar Workhouse Union authorities support child migration?
- Why might rate payers support this scheme?
- What would be the disadvantages for the children facing emigration to Canada as result of this plan?
- Look at the date of this source, what does it reveal about child migration since criticisms made by Andrew Doyle referred to Source 3b & c?