|Name and Surname||Relationship to Head of Household||Age||Sex||Marriage or Orphanhood||Birthplace and Nationality||School||Personal Occupation||Employment||Place of Work|
|Israel Aahron Templehof||Head||48||M||Married||Bertzia Russo-Poland||[Blank]||Minister of Religion||Last congregation (out of work) Philpot St Sphardish Synagoge||[Blank]|
|Rosa Templehof||Wife||55||F||Married||Crackow Galicia||[Blank]||Home Duties||[Blank]||[Blank]|
|Sarah Templehof||Daughter||23||F||Single||Krachow Galicia||[Blank]||Probation Officer||Association for the protection of women and girls||59 Mansell Street|
|Charles Templehof||Son||15||M||Single||Austerlitz Checko-Slovakia||Whole time||[Blank]||[Blank]||[Blank]|
|John Templehof||Son||10||M||Both alive||London Bow||Whole time||[Blank]||[Blank]||[Blank]|
I declare that this Schedule is correctly filled up to the best of my knowledge and belief
[signed] I A Templehof
« Return to Case Study B – Tower Hamlets
- Look at Source One and answer these questions. Try and look at the handwritten version of the census first before the typed one.
Source one- 1921 Census record- The National Archives (RG15/1655)
- What religion is Israel? How can you tell?
- Why does it say ‘out of work’ next to Israel’s job? How do you think that affects the family?
- How long do you think the family has lived in Britain? Clue- think about where John was born.
- Is there anyone whose job is ‘home duties’? Who is doing that job? Why do you think house work took a long time?
- What else can you learn about this family?
- What questions do you have about this family that are not answered by the census record? Write these down and keep them.