|This return details hearths in newly erected houses and smiths'
workshops in and around Birmingham. It was created some time after
September 1683 and submitted to the general sessions of the peace
in January 1684. The number of hearths in new houses shown in the
return demonstrates the rate at which Birmingham was expanding during
Catalogue reference: E 179/375/1 (January 1684)