Paying for research

You may wish to pay someone else to carry out research at The National Archives on your behalf. We offer a paid search service, or you can find an independent researcher from our database.

You can visit The National Archives to do your own research. It is free to visit and to view original documents, but we charge for print-outs and copies.

If you want to do your own research, our research guides will help get you started.

Under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000, you have the right to see information held by us unless one of the exemptions set out in the FOI Act applies - find out more about Freedom of Information.

Find an independent researcher to help you with your research.