Drawing of Kealakekua Bay, 1778-79 (MFQ 1/566). Drawn to illustrate the log of HMS Discovery for 5 August 1778 to June 1779, by Thomas Edgar, Master.
1. Look at Source 1. This drawing shows the two ships Resolution and Discovery at anchor with the cutter (a ship’s boat for carrying stores or passengers) alongside and a village in the background.
- Find the ship’s cutter (small supply ship), the Resolution, and Discovery in the picture.
- What other boats and people can you see?
- What settlement can you see on the mainland?
- What impression of the scene does this drawing give?
- This is an artist’s drawing. What are the disadvantages/advantages for using this as evidence?