Security Service release: Organisation files
Austrian Centre: headquarters of the Council of Austrians in Great Britain
- Catalogue ref: KV5/136
- Date: 03/01/1943 - 25/11/1953
Established in London in March 1939 as ostensibly a non-party welfare and cultural organisation, the Centre was in fact communist-inspired and from October 1939 until Russia's entry into the war in June 1941 was the principal medium through which the Austrian Communist Party operated in the UK. Attaining a membership of 3,500 (including many non-Austrians and non-communists), it published a weekly newspaper 'Zeitspiegel'. Despite communist votes to keep it open, the Centre closed in January 1947.
The files span KV5/136 to KV5/137.