Copyright and licensing

The National Archives manages Crown copyright and Crown database rights. The Keeper has authorised some departments to manage the licensing and re-use of Crown copyright and database right material they produce (under an official ‘delegation of authority’ agreement) where a case has been made this is in the public interest. Departments with a delegation of authority are regulated by The National Archives under the Information Fair Trader Scheme (IFTS).

A transferring department that has previously exercised a delegation of authority should review past licensing and notify The National Archives and the receiving department of any key licenses relating to material being transferred. The receiving department may require its own delegation of authority from the Keeper and details of any copyright licences that have been issued in respect of material for which it has policy responsibility.

Please also refer to the Civil Service code for civil servants’ responsibilities relating to information and copyright.

Find out more information on copyright and licensing.

Complaints under the Re-use Regulations

Live complaints or appeals under the Re-Use of Public Sector Information Regulations will become the responsibility of the receiving department.

The transferring organisation should:

  • alert the receiving organisation to all active complaints and appeals and provide relevant paperwork
  • if it is a complaint to Information Commissioner’s Office or an appeal to the First-tier Tribunal, notify the applicable body of the transfer of functions and which organisation is now responsible for responding to the complaint
  • inform the complainant or appellant

The receiving organisation should:

Find out more information on re-using public sector information.