The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window

Details: Pen-Y-Fal Hospital, Abergavenny

search again
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records



Present name

Pen-Y-Fal Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum 1851 - 1897
Monmouthshire Lunatic Asylum 1897 - 1916
Monmouthshire Mental Hospital 1916 - 1923
Pen-Y-Val Hospital - Until 1950  


Old Monmouthshire Road Abergavenny NP7 5YY 

Foundation Year




Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)


Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

North Monmouthshire 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)


Regional Health Authority (1982- )


District Health Authority (1974-82)

North Gwent 

District Health Authority (1982- )


County (before 1974)


County (1974-1996)


County (after 1996)



Pre 1948

Local Authority

Post 1948



Pre 1948


Post 1948


Other information

Victoria Cottage Hospital, Abergavenny 1828 - Abergavenny Dispensary opened, at 45 Castle Street 1890 - Abergavenny Cottage Hospital opened, at 56 Castle street (initially this was separate and independent from the Dispensary). 1902 - Victoria Cottage Hospital and Dispensary opened in Hereford Road (foundation stone laid 1901) Monmouth General Hospital 1810 - Monmouth Dispensary opened, at Little Castle House, Castle Hill, Monmouth. 1868 - Monmouth Hospital and Dispensary opened at Cartref, St James' Square, Monmouth. 1903 - New building for Monmouth Hospital and Dispensary opened in Hereford Road, Monmouth. Crickhowell Memorial Cottage Hospital According to 1923 Kelly's Directory, this was opened in 1920 and supported mainly by voluntary contributions. Pen-Y-Fal Hospital, Abergavenny Opened 1851 (Joint Counties' Lunatic Asylum); closed 1996. 1897 changed name to "Monmouthshire Asylum, Abergavenny". c1916 - 1923 changed name to "Monmouthshire Mental Hospital". c1947 - 1950 changed name to "Pen-Y-Val Hospital" (later Pen-Y-Fal) Address: Old Monmouth Road, Abergavenny. Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport. Founded 1839 - Still Open 1839 "Newport Dispensary" opened, Llanarth Street, Newport. 1843 Newport Dispensary moved to Great Dock Street. 1859 Changed name to Newport Dispensary and Infirmary (but in-patients were not received until 1867). 1860 Moved to Stow Hill 1888 Became Newport and County Infirmary. 1892 Became Newport and Monmouthshire Infirmary 1901 Became Newport and Monmouthshire Hospital, and moved to Cardiff Road. 1913 Became Royal Gwent Hospital.

Records can be found at:


  Gwent Record Office

Record type

Date range


1844 - 1990


1853 - 1975


1849 - 1982

   Admission & Discharge

1851 - 1990


1911 - 1963


1844 - 1984

Clinical & Patients

1900 - 1969

Finding aids

Finding aids


Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)




Patient registers and patient idex books, 1890-1990

search again
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.