The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window

Details: Hellesdon Hospital, Norwich

search again
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records



Present name

Hellesdon Hospital 

Previous name(s)

Norwich City Asylum (1880 - ?)
Norwich City Mental Hospital (by 1929 - 1948)
Norwich Pauper Asylum (1828 - 1830)  


Drayton High Road Hellesdon Norwich NR6 5BE (Since 1880) 

Previous location

Outside St Augustine's Gates, Parish of St Clement, Norwich (1828 - 1880)

Foundation Year




Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

East Anglian 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Norwich Mental Ii 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

East Anglian 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

East Anglian 

District Health Authority (1974-82)


District Health Authority (1982- )


Current Trust

Norfolk Mental Health Care NHS Trust 

Trust From


County (before 1974)


County (1974-1996)


County (after 1996)



Pre 1948

Poor Law, Local Authority

Post 1948



Pre 1948


Post 1948


Other information

After 1864 the hospital was administered by a Pauper Lunatic Asylum Committee, later known as the Borough Asylum Committee, the City Asylum Committee, the Mental Hospital Visiting Committee and the Mental Treatment Committee. Norwich Incorporation of Guardians of Poor / Poor Law Union. Assylum was erected in 1828 on land adjoining the workhouse Infimary outside St Augustine's Gates in Parish of St Clements, Norwich. Although the Infirmary moved to the new Workhouse site at Bowthorpe Road, Heigham, in 1859, the Asylum remained in its old location until 1880 when the new Norwich City Asylum was opened in Hellesdon. the new Asylum accepted patients from the Boroughs of King's Lynn and Great Yarmouth as well as the City of Norwich.

Records can be found at:


  Norfolk Record Office

Record type

Date range


1828 - 1956


1828 - 1953


1910 - 1956

   Admission & Discharge

1846 - 1949


1880 - 1915

Clinical & Patients

1855 - 1999

Finding aids

Finding aids


Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR), National Register of Archives (NRA)


AR: CAT: MH. AR; See also Norwich Quarter Sessions. See also Pauper Lunatic, Borough, and City Asylum Committees, Mental Hospital Visiting and Mental Treatment Committees, of Norwich City. HH; NCR CASE 2OE; N/GP; N/TC17

search again
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.