The Hospital Records database is no longer being updated. We continue to make this information available for inspection and reuse but can no longer guarantee its accuracy. You can search Discovery to find records held here at The National Archives and in other UK archives.
The National Archives
Search our website
  • Search our website
  • Search our records
Montage of three nurses. All images © Wellcome Library, London. References: L0010490, L0018470, L0010789. Hospital Records Database
Welcome (Hospital Records home page) About Hospital Records
Search Help - opens in a new window

Details: Stone House Hospital, Dartford

search again
Go to:  Name  |  Administration  |  Status/Type  |  Other info  |  Records



Present name

Stone House Hospital 

Previous name(s)

City of London Lunatic Asylum (1866 - 1898)
City of London Hospital for Mental Disease (1899)
City of London Asylum For Mental Disease (1900 - 1905)
City of London Asylum and Hospital for Mental Disease (1906 - 1920)
Also know as City of London Mental Hospital From 1921 onwards.  


Cotton Lane Stone Dartford DA2 6AU (Since 1866) 

Foundation Year




Administrative authorities

Regional Hospital Board (1948-74)

South East Metropolitan 

Hospital Management Committee (1948-74)

Dartford and Darenth 

Regional Health Authority (1974-82)

South East Thames 

Regional Health Authority (1982- )

South East Thames 

District Health Authority (1974-82)

Dartford and Gravesham 

District Health Authority (1982- )

Dartford and Gravesham 

Current Trust

Thames Gateway NHS Trust  

Previous Trust

Thameslink Healthcare Services NHS Trust 1992 - 1997 

Trust From


County (before 1974)


County (1974-1996)

Greater London 

County (after 1996)

Greater London 


Pre 1948

Local Authority

Post 1948



Pre 1948


Post 1948


Other information

The hospital was built by the Corporation of London at Stone near Dartford, Kent under the provisions of the Lunatic Asylums Act 1853 during the years 1862 - 1866. It was designed by James Bunstone Bunning, the City's Clerk of the Works (later City Architect and Surveyor), and opened as the City of London Lunatic Asylum on 16th April 1866. Later additions were made to the hospital which from 1924 was formally known as the City of London Mental Hosital. The Committee of Visitors had originally been composed of the Aldermen and Recorder as Justices, but under the Local Government Act 1888 the Justices powers and duties passed to the City's Court of Common Council which appointed 12 of its members to be the Visiting Committee. 2 Women were added to the committee from jan 1931 (Under the Mental Treatment Act 1930). The direct administrative link with the corporation of London was maintained until 1948 when the hospital was transferred to the minister of Health under the National Health Service Act 1946.

Records can be found at:


  London Metropolitan Archives

Record type

Date range


1857 - 1997


1857 - 1978


1910 - 1979


1866 - 1949


1860 - 1997

Clinical & Patients

1866 - 1997

Finding aids

Finding aids

Catalogue, Computerised

Location of finding aids

At Repository(AR)


CLA/001 Brief Guide: Hospital and Charity Annual Reports.


Annual Reports = Annual Report Collection SC/PPS/093/12; medical superintendant's order book, private patient payment files, personnel files 1902-1947 (CLA/001) NRA Accessions to Repositories 2007

search again
The National Archives Newsletter Icon

Send me The National Archives’ newsletter

A monthly round-up of news, blogs, offers and events.